~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Spirit-lifting, lighthearted and downright bubbly...strawberries optional....



"Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
To bend with apples the moss’d cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For Summer has o’er-brimm’d their clammy cells."
John Keats

Well, it's been a less-than-festive mood around here today, what with the pouring rain and gray, gloomy clouds. I never expected to be so affected by weather, but since I've come to Texas from the Pacific Northwest, I've become rather spoiled by abundant sunshine and blue skies. Not to say I didn't appreciate the cloudless days up there in my old corner of the country, because I did. Bright sunshine-filled days are just something to which I've become accustomed. You know, I've developed that expectant attitude tinged with a sense of entitlement. More often than not, I actually do rise and shine thinking "Texas owes me a nice day, dammit--I came all this way, now let's have it!"

All right. So, I'm in a funky, weird mood, and I'm wishing for something spirit-lifting, lighthearted and downright bubbly.... thus the picture I've borrowed from the Armagan Champagne people. Alas, but there's not a drop of alcohol in the house, nor a strawberry to be found. SGTex did mention that we really should be having red wine with the (fabulous) steak, mushroom and pepper dinner he whipped up (Thank you, Dearling). OTOH, we've got sweet blackberries in the frig, movie popcorn in the cupboard and newly-harvested gorgeous pecans from our very own trees. Besides that, I've spied a dark chocolate something-or-other-type of candy bar on the breakfront in the kitchen.... and coffee we've got. Champagne will be great later on down the way, come wedding time.

I wonder what a girl hasta do around here to convince her man it's the perfect night for a cozy, romantic bedtime picnic?

Hmmm...Give me a minute. I'll think of something.........;+)

Shawn
****
photo: armagan-champagne.com, armagan champagne cellars, Healdsburg,CA

No comments: