~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My mosaic mood montage....


Flower petals.  We've got a million of 'em.... Ever since the first bouquet of long-stemmed red roses SGTex sent me in WA, I've been drying and saving flower petals.  First of all, because I just couldn't part with them, and second of all, because we'd be using them to scatter at our wedding...At the time it all started, I had no idea how perfectly they'd suit our purpose.  The little downtown park is all brick, and there will be a petal path from the street to the wall-of-water fountain...Well, over the last 5 years you can imagine how many petals have been gathered and stored away for safekeeping.  Lots and lots. 

And that is how I came to find this beautiful mosaic picture, all about flower petals :+). 

So many thoughts are swirling around in my head lately.  There's been a lot going on right here at home, more than enough to keep my mind well occupied, IYKWIM.  SGTex has been given more responsibility and a new position at work- and yes, he's doing a fandangtastic job, thankyou very much!  I'm very proud of him.  He's an achiever and has heaps of ability, which he puts to great use. 

It's also gardening time out back, and he's in charge of that, too.  We've had some of our first harvest already- green tomatoes fried SGTex style, and a delicious zucchini, the texture of which was amazing, melt in your mouth.  On the other hand, my most anticipated blooms never had a chance.  Evidently nasturtiums are on the salad menu of the neighborhood squirrels....I couldn't believe my eyes the other day when I started down the front steps-- it looked like someone had taken scissors and given all the plants a bad haircut!!  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  I've been really wanting nasturtiums to grow here.  Maybe next season...

Beyond what's right here close to home, there's the oil spill.  Like many of you, we've been watching late night CNN and are feeling more and more frustrated and disgusted with BP oil and all who are mixed up in this big mess.  The harm done is hard to imagine.  I don't know how those people sleep at night, really.  It's not their loved ones who died, it's not their wildlife, their wetlands or coastline that is affected.  Yet.  Utterly shameful.

And now I've gotten myself all involved with Lily & Hope, the black bears in Minnesota (see posts below).  As of tonight, Baby Hope is still lost and alone in the woods, but was spotted a couple of times over the past days.  Food has been left out for her in what should be familiar places, so perhaps she will be able to take nourishment.  We'll learn more about her misadventure tomorrow.  I've been heartbroken just thinking about her being out on her own in the woods, such a tiny bear girl.  She needs to be caught and carried off to her mother once again.  Many tears have been shed, and many prayers have been said over that situation here in America and elsewhere. 

Our wedding plans continue to take shape, and I'm grateful for that.  It will be a busy summer with lots to do before our big day in the Celtic New Year.

All in all, it's been a good June so far for us here in our home.  I hope it's been that way for you, too.

Shawn
****
photo courtesy of:  http://rlv.zcache.com/purple_blue_iris_flower_petals_mosaic_montage_poster

No comments: