~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Monday, August 9, 2010

Tolerating intolerance (and just barely) .....

It's a wonder that I just don't walk around with an absolutely shocked look on my face half the time....Oh, wait!!  Maybe I do.....Oh, probably not.

Anyway, this morning I have been reading e-mails (thank you!), Facebooking and just getting the day underway, and I was thinking about the past week or two and all that has happened to make it somewhat of an emotional rollercoaster.  The best of it has been due to the goodness of people.  The worst of it has been due to people's badness...

For instance, if I pull back, looking through a wide angle lens, I could cite the incident in Afghanistan.  The people who took it upon themselves to kill perfectly nice folks who were there to serve others were not exercising their goodness, were they?!  I have a video on my Facebook page of a young girl being stoned to death...and it's horrible.  Then, there's the woman whose life is being threatened in the same way, and that's on the news.  What's to become of her?  Coming a little closer to home, how about that young man in Minnesota who was battered and had his laptop and bike stolen?  Who would do something like that, and why?   We here in America should know better than to treat each other like that. 

Bringing it on home, what if I were to tell you how it feels to have someone get right in your face and tell you, out loud, that they love you, but that doesn't mean they have to like you.  That they want "God's best" for you, but it turns out you've been a bad aunt...and that your choice of love and lifestyle isn't very ______-like (insert surname here)...Of course, that's all done long distance over the telephone, so it's not really very brave of them, is it!?  Surely a brother wouldn't do that to his sister.  (But hey, he did).  What is it with some people?

Anyway, I didn't really plan on saying all of that, so just ignore the above part there...

On the other hand, thankfully there are good things happening here in the Republic of Texas.  Really, really nice people just drop out of the sky and do loving, sweet things, just because...and sometimes someone just pops up and says something pleasant to you, and it feels good.  (You know who you are)  IOW, it's been a terrific weekend, absolutely sweet. 

Yes, life is still good, better than I could have ever imagined, and it's mine, all mine....LOL!!!

I guess the gods know that we're gonna need the yin when it yangs....

Namaste'.......

Shawn
****

photo courtesy of:  Well, I'm not actually sure...lol

No comments: