~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving....

“You know that just before that first Thanksgiving dinner there was one wise, old Native American woman saying, “Don’t feed them. If you feed them, they’ll never leave.” –Dylan Brody

I'm looking forward to getting started on our second Thanksgiving dinner at this house....which makes it my third, here in Texas.

I remember the first Thanksgiving dinner I made for my family in Washington years ago. That was the first time I had company at my new-to-me home, at the time. I had a wonderful, green monstrosity of an oven that I had fenagled from the nearby appliance center. What I didn't know about it was, there was a switch that needed to be turned on in order for the oven to heat. I had the dinner ready to go, the turkey in the oven and went off to set the table....came back and checked. Nothing was heating. That turkey was as cold as it was when I took it out of the refrigerator.....Called my parents in a panic and my father drove down the hill to my house, fooled around with the fuse box....and then I discovered this funny-looking switch. The oven heated and all was well. Best Thanksgiving dinner anybody had ever eaten, they claimed, lol. Fun times.

SGTex and I had an interesting first Texas Thanksgiving, too. Big turkey he'd had in the freezer long before I got here.......We thawed it out and went looking for that little bag of goodies that is supposed to be removed before roasting, you know.....couldn't find anything. It wasn't there. Got the flashlight..........no sign of it, anywhere. Concluded our turkey was different- it came with no extras. Oh, well. And that's what we thought until several days later when I was taking all the leftover meat off the bones for soup and salads........Oh, oh.... Man, that bag of goodies was tucked well away, LOL.

This year our dinner will be pretty traditional, with lots of trimmings, including pecans. Lots of pecans, as it appears we're having a bumper crop this year.

May you and yours have a bumper crop of blessings.....

Shawn & SGTex
****






































No comments: