~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Monday, December 13, 2010

"I will honor Christmas in my heart...


....and try to keep it all the year." ~Charles Dickens
It seems to me, if we were to keep Christmas in our hearts all year long, we might not experience the stress that we do during the holidays. I think what Mr. Dickens likely meant is to have an attitude of charity and best wishes for all, to do for others first, to aim to give, rather than receive, to have more of a beatific countenance and a happier world view. Perhaps. But I don't want to presume to speak for Charles Dickens.

Who, by the way, is said to have been owned by Havanese (as are we, lol)... Perhaps that is why he was able to say he will honor Christmas and keep it all the year. That's not too difficult if one spends any time at all with such happy puppies ;+). This particular breed of canine's makeup can be summed up thusly: Glad Tidings of Great Joy, lol.
Anyway, I do think that it's a good idea to have that attitude. At the very least, we can attempt it. And I must say, I've certainly failed to do so. Hard as I may try, I find myself drawn into negativity and difficulties all too easily.

I very likely said it in my prior post about Christmas trees, but one of my most favorite things about this home is that I have such a great view of our sweet little tree with the old-fashioned lights and ornaments. It is placed "just so," and I can glance up from my desk and be reminded of what a lovely time of year it is. That helps when the typical stressors get the best of me and I'm out of sorts (who, me??), when I'm needing to be of better cheer, lol.
The other night when SGTex took me out on the town to see the holiday lights, and we pulled up in the car and there was our own tree shining through the window, I was very thankful. Our little house with the pretty tree and big holiday wreath on the front door with a big red bow was just as wonderful as anyone else's holiday home, in my estimation!
I might as well admit it. Yes, I do need to have the holiday spirit and to try (a little harder) to keep it all the year.
Happy 12 days until Christmas!

Shawn
****

No comments: