~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Monday, October 21, 2013

The best laid plans....

....might be unnecessary.

What?

Ever since the first across-the-country driving trip I made as an adult, I have been aware that I am a planner.  Big time.  I'm comfortable with list-making, note-taking, planning the calendar and marking the days and weeks and months off according to my pie-in-the-sky goals, which I inevitably fail to meet.  (insert wry smile here).

When SGTex and I had our Big Road Trip from the Oregon coast back to Texas, it was planned out as to what we might see and where we might stay.  Wonderful.

The thing is, I don't remember being quite like this as a child, and I don't think my parents were big planners in great detail.  The announcement was made that we were moving house, and we did.  When it was time for the family vacay, we did.  We stopped at different sights to see and there was always a light on in a motel somewhere.  It was relaxing being the person not in charge of it all.  Life was easier that way, without the self-imposed accountability thing.  Haha. But then, if you look back to younger, innocent days, what would you tell yourself to do or not do?

One thing I have discovered along the way is that planning is great fun.  Another thing is to not be surprised when the planning doesn't exactly pan out the way you planned.  And that is actually okay.

I saw a meme go by on Facebook and it was the one that says, "If you could write a note to your younger self using only 2 words what would you say?  Here are some of the 2-word notes that my friends left behind. Wise words, and actually quite inspiring.  Names have been deleted to protect the not-so-very-innocent here ;~).

Here goes:

You can….Ignore Mum…Stay single….Wrong turn….Follow instincts….You’re enough….Find love….Have faith….Trust yourself….Learn “no”….Let go….Love me….You’re wrong!....Buy Apple….Love yourself….I’m ok….Educate yourself….

Be wise….Just relax….Stay aloof….Get educated….

And mine:  Carpe diem.

Shawn
****

No comments: