~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sign of Spring


"Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still dark."

Rabindranath Tagore
Just a few minutes ago I had the pleasure of sighting one of these winged wonders, and it reminded me of what is just about my most favorite of Tagore's writings. The little hummingbird was buzzing back and forth, very determined and energetic, all business. I think he was searching for something, maybe materials for a nearby nest.
I know hummingbirds don't really sing, per se, but have more of a little "tweet." Still, it was nice to watch him from behind the lace curtains for those few minutes. He is a real beauty, and I'm wishing him the blessing of a safe and happy Spring.
On another note....we do know a lovely robin who lives nearby, and he regularly sings for us. To my way of thinking, there is nothing prettier than the morning, evening or after-the-rain robin song.
I won't be letting on to my little green friend, however...
Shawn
***

No comments: