~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Don't nod and dream....



"Stay awake, don't rest your head
Don't lie down upon your bed
While the moon drifts in the sky
Stay awake, don't close your eyes

Though the world is fast asleep
Though your pillow's soft and deep
You're not sleepy as you seem
Stay awake, don't nod and dream
Stay awake, don't nod and dream"

The other day SGTex and I were discussing naps. For several reasons, I've developed the habit of not taking a nap if I can possibly avoid it. I've been told that as a small child I was known to stay awake as long as possible, as I was afraid I might miss something...Cousin C might remember how we used to take summertime naps upstairs in Grandma Mac's feather bed out at Aunt L and Uncle R's ranch. I could only take that so long, as it was warm and bright in that room, and feather beds can be pretty overwhelming, lol. I'd try the best that I could to relax and enjoy the experience, but before long I'd had all I could take, run down the stairs looking to be entertained by the elders. Funny thing, they were expecting me and always had something interesting and educational to do. I loved those times.

But that was a lifetime ago. Times have changed, and here I am thinking about how nice it is to go to sleep at night in peace. We can do that these days, because of those who were willing to sacrifice their security in order to preserve ours...Thanks to those who have made that possible.

Well, I'd better go hush the puppies. SGTex just laid down for a 20-minute nap...

Shawn
****

photo of sweet kitty courtesy of wings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have fond memories of that feather bed in the little yellow room. Me, too! -Cousin C