~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Sunday, January 24, 2010

For the love of gods....



The tale of Cupid and Psyche has been retold many times over. As a student, I loved Greek mythology and pretty much devoured any literature that fell into my hands about the gods and their dealings with mankind. "Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis is a favorite of mine, and it gives the story of Psyche from her older, less attractive sister's point of view.

It's funny how I actually started out thinking about that book and did some research, delving into the meaning of C.S. Lewis' tale and all about that. Which, of course, led me to looking into more about Psyche and Cupid. Before I knew it, I was thinking about the upcoming Valentine's Day....

SGTex has said we should "do something romantic." Well, that shouldn't be too difficult, since romance comes easy for us. I'm one of those few,lucky women who just happened to land a man who doesn't mind being romantic--in fact, it comes naturally for him, thank the gods.... ;+) I don't mind confessing to being utterly and completely spoiled that way. It's been nearly five years since the first of many, many dozen red roses...Lately it's been mistletoe, the Buddhist embracing his Pagan, hmmmm....

Anyway, it's very late and we're here together in the office doing our thing, back to back. Before too long we'll turn out the light and spend what's left of this night doing our thing, side by side... He just asked me if there's any reason we shouldn't sleep in for awhile, come morning. I told him I couldn't think of any reason why not, so he jumps up, comes over and kisses me....

G'nite.

Shawn
****

picture: Cupid & Psyche, Canova 1796 The Louvre Museum, Paris

No comments: