~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Monday, August 30, 2010

Beware, my lord, of jealousy....

...It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on.... (Iago to Othello, III, 3, lines 169-171)

"Green with envy"
You've heard the expression.  Apparently, we can thank Shakespeare for its origin. 

These gorgeous Echinacea purpura are named "Green Envy," and I do believe that's the color I'd turn if my neighbors had these pop up in their garden.  (They're not apt to, however.) Wow. 

One of my favorite things to do is drive around, (or be driven, rather) to see the gorgeous yards surrounding the gorgeous homes nearby, in our town.  My goodness.  I may have said it before here, but whoever did the landscaping during the years when these homes (mostly mansions) were built must have been Somebody...boyhowdy.  I'm constantly amazed at how lovely it all is.  I'm not sure I'd want to actually be the homeowner of one of those places, but I wouldn't mind living out back, IYKWIM :+).  Anyway, aren't these flowers incredible?!! 

Speaking of flowers, the Gulf Frittilaries are still around, even though they've TOTALLY STRIPPED every. single. leaf. off our Passiflora.  LOL!  It's almost funny.  Now we have to figure out if we should just cut it all back and see if it comes up again, or start over.  Ahem.  :+)  Hah.  It sure was a busy nursery while it was happening out there on the porch, so we had fun watching the action, up close and personal.  Right now our bouganvillea is spectacular, and I'm happy with that.  I had no idea there could be so much garden color happening in August, let alone in Texas.

Today is my day "off," and I should be working.  I'll get back to it in a few, after I go marinade the steaks and see about a few things in the kitchen.  The puppies have been in there nosing a pie pan around on the floor- it is so cute to all-of-a-sudden hear that sound and know they're treating it like a hockey puck.  It's good they entertain each other so well, the little joy bundles that they are.  We (I) must get them brushed out and civilized-looking before the wedding time is upon us.  It's a work in progress, and the progress has barely started.

So, with that self-admonition I'd better get busy and see what I can accomplish.  So far, it's been a great Monday for us.  Hope it has for you, as well.

Shawn
****
photo courtesy of : Spring Hill Nursery

No comments: