~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Friday, August 20, 2010

Consider the lilies....

....how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  Luke 12:27 KJV

I was amazed when I came across this picture of calla lilies.  I've never seen any so beautiful, really, and was especially impressed that they came in all my favorite colors.  I guess that's obvious, if you look around here on this blog. 

It turns out these just happen to be our accent wedding colors:  blues, lavenders and soft greens...Awhile back, I came across a beautiful length of ribbon that I've had for a very long time, and I'll be tying my bouquet with that.  I don't even remember where I found it years ago, but its package included a wise saying:

"Life is a ribbon.  Are you tying yours in knots, or in bows?" 

Lately I've been thinking about life, the busyness of our days, how we're spending our time, what consumes our energy and mind-power.  Sometimes fatigue sets in so heavily that we can barely think straight....work days are too long and nights are too short... Yet, there's a good feeling when we've accomplished even some of what we set out to do (all tied up in bows).  Then, on other days, the frustration is right there jeering at us when we come to the end of the day, not having accomplished one single item of what we set out to do (all tied up in knots)..... Have you been there, too?

Never mind.  The gospel storyteller reminds us that lilies make out just fine, without going to a lot of fuss. 

And apparently, if we can go by this picture, the less we worry, toil and spin, the better our lives will end up looking!!

I'll have an extra-long one of those, please...and tie it up in a big, pretty bow.

Shawn
****

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi i was wondering where this image came from. was this your photo?

Shawn and SGTex said...

Hi, anonymous~
I do believe that image was borrowed from a borrower of images--I've seen it in various places on the I'net. If you can establish the credit for the picture please post accordingly- would love to give credit where credit is due.