~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Monday, July 11, 2011

We are...



...enabled to apprehend at all what is sublime and noble only by the perpetual instilling and drenching of the reality that surrounds us. We can never have enough of nature. ~ Henry David Thoreau


When our friend Jack shared this picture, it really spoke to me. I'm not quite sure what the artist is trying to say, and I really have no idea what the photographer was thinking when snapping the picture, but I just really wanted to borrow it and share it with you.


I was thinking about it again today, when I came upon this Thoreau quote and put it all together. ;+)


I admire the idea of beauty hidden in the mundane, the notion of lifting something wonderful and whimsical right up out of the ho hum, finding a reason to smile in spite of imperfect, yet-to-be-ideal circumstances. Like SGTex tells me from time to time, "But Honey, this is earth." LOL


You know me...I'm always taking an idea and stretching it until it nearly snaps.....


The "bloom where you're planted" concept is so completely and utterly simple.....trite, in fact. Yet, in some cases that very small idea can become so powerful as to be one's mantra.


The mosaic work (play?) on these steps certainly conveys that one can find happiness right where one is, in the moment. One doesn't have to avoid the day-to-day, ordinary, the not-new-anymore in order to be surprised and find joy right under one's feet.


So, I guess what I'm seeing here is *extra*ordinary, sublime.


Some clever person went and prayerfully unfurled, unswirled, unwound what amounts to a lovely, magnificent mandala.


Shawn

****

No comments: