~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"Nothing that I can do....



....will change the structure of the universe. But maybe, by raising my voice I can help the greatest of all causes - goodwill among men and peace on earth." ~ Albert Einstein


I've been meaning to blog, lately, but couldn't think of what I really had to say.


Well, yesterday evening I received a message on Facebook that provided me with a topic. I'm sorry to say what precipitated this private conversation was an unfortunate exchange of words on a semi-public forum...


The social network is a wild and crazy place, with some wild and crazy people who apparently are willing to say most anything, no matter how hurtful, unwise and yes, I will say it--no matter how dangerous.


By way of explanation: There is at least one person out there who is what we in America, and perhaps other places, might call a "loose cannon." She shoots her mouth off from time to time and says rather wild-eyed, rash words that are best ignored. This time, for whatever reason, she went too far. She didn't just share her own philosophy or point of view with brashness or bravado (like some of us do from time to time, me included). She fired off some really outrageous hate speech of the worst kind, was inappropriate and evil. In a word: Racist. At one of her own...a fellow American living in a small, peaceful town, mother of the most beautiful children ever, wife of a wonderful man who just happens to have been born to wonderful people who are not white, Anglo-Saxon, protestants born in the U.S. of A....


In short, I am outraged.


As they say, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel.


Shawn

****

No comments: