~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Monday, June 3, 2013

"There are many kinds of families...



....and Cheerios just wants to celebrate them all.” Meredith Tutterow,associate marketing director for Cheerios and Multigrain Cheerios at General Mills in Golden Valley, Minnesota


I was blessed to grow up in a place where an overt incident of racism was only exhibited by the occasional strange, ignorant people you read about in the paper or someone being really mean. Example: As a child I was accosted by 2 girls on... the playground who harrassed me with days of name-calling, so eventually, I lost my composure and name-called them back. I was the one who got in trouble for it. It was wrong and mean...of all of us. I was more wrong than they were, because I certainly and absolutely knew better. Was it the last time I ever called somebody a bad name? No, and I still feel guilty and sorry about that. Wouldn't you know it....now, as an adult there is nothing that bothers me more than name-calling...Such is my karma.


General Mills has a mixed race family featured on their latest commercial, and it's caused some unfortunate people to show their "true colors," so to speak.  The issue isn't exactly about name-calling, per se, but this is about racism. The effect is the same.

Rather than restrain myself, I do expect that the next time someone feels the need to mention someone's color or lack thereof (or any other unnecessary, extraneous and likely erroneous description) , I'm apt to just go off on them. 

Honestly, I can hardly wait for that opportunity....

Shawn
****
photo:  Dulce de Leche Cheerios® Parfaits recipe from Betty Crocker

No comments: