~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Robert Frost had it down cold....


"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." -Robert Frost

It just doesn't seem possible that it's December already. I think it was on CNN in the early morning hours that someone said they were amazed that it was the first day of the last month in this decade...Wow. I would never have believed that life would have taken the turns that it has over the past few years. All I'm going to say about that is that I'm grateful.

Lately I've been thinking about love and what it means, the effect it has and how it is manifested. I've no time for much reading these days, but I'm aware of what's out there on the subject of love. Like "The 5 Love Languages" book that is quite popular. Or how about the Greeks? What they say about love 5 different ways: Epithumia (strong desire, longing, lust), Eros (romantic, passionate, sentimental-goes nicely with epithumia), Storge (comfortable, as in old shoe--not to be avoided, because it's the belonging-type love), Phileo (comradeship, friendship), and Agape (selfless, giving, without thought of self). Or how about Sir Richard Burton's translation of the Kama Sutra? Not for sissies...Then there's the letter to the Corinthians chapter 13, or Letter to the Brothers, two passages included in our wedding ceremony.

Actually,I tend to agree with Mr. Frost.

photo courtesy of mediastorehouse.com (a picture of a frosty leaf to go with the poem by Robert Frost--get it?!)

No comments: