~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Okay, so I'm a day late commemorating a very bad day....

I know, I should have posted something about Mt. St. Helen's May 18th eruption yesterday, but things weren't really, what shall I say, "conducive" to blogging, so here I am today.  If I checked back to last year at this time I probably said something about the mountain going off, but I'm not checking the archives.

This evening I thought I'd sit down after dinner and post some sort of a fluff piece (I know, we get a lot of that here, lol), as I'm in a good mood and all is right with my world.  But then I remembered the mountain, so here's a shot of her having a very bad day, the likes of which she'd not had in a very long time, and we all hope to never see her do it again.  To tell you the truth, I was in California at the time and missed out on May 18th.  Not too much later, though, I got to experience her 2nd eruption.  It wasn't as bad as the first, but I don't have a lot of good things to say about that day.  It was one horrific mess, and I don't want to ever go through that again.

So, what is happening at our house?  Other than long hours working at The Job, SGTex is getting some gardening underway.  I'm impressed!  Tomatoes are great.  Zucchini is blossoming.  Hyacinth bean vines coming up.  Morning glories starting to do their thing.  Okra is still in hiding.  I'm not sure about the peppers.  Four o'clocks are elusive.  Nasturtiums better *not* turn out to be all leaves and no blossom again.....Passion vine is growing like crazy up the front porch railings, just as I'd hoped.  Globe thistles are taking off and should be just right next to the garden gate, maybe discouraging the neighbor puppy from gaining entry, lol.  Our wisteria bloomed after all (yay!) and we've got climbing roses that are really, really pretty, in spite of the fact I have yet to find my rose pruners :+).  I'm very lucky my man is an excellent and willing gardener!!  He's brought in the most gorgeous bouquets.  You should see the huge vase by the altar with a beautiful floral mix of spring colors.  (Thank you, Dearling!)

Puppies are pretty well-behaved and are inseparable, best buddies.  They are so cute.  Really!  Our wedding plans are underway-- see our updated news for that. 

I guess that's about it for now.  I think it's time to play a little Mah Jongg and then call it a very good day, as good days go.

Goodnight!
Shawn
****

1 comment:

vegakitty said...

Just don't wish another eruption on us, since George and I now live only about 60 miles from Mt. St. Helens. And, strangely enough, I've only seen it in person (so to speak) from an airplane window.