~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Monday, February 21, 2011

The button basket....


For some reason today my mother's button basket found its way into a conversation I was having with SGTex. I hadn't thought about it in a long time, but all of a sudden I was wishing I still had it, as it actually came from my great grandmother. Nothing fancy, just a brown, woven basket with a lid that just barely fit, filled to the brim with beautiful buttons and what-nots, each representing memories of days and dresses and shirts gone by.

It occurs to me that our minds are a bit like that button basket. Hopefully most of what is stored there is useful and pleasant, old memories right alongside new, bright ideas that are tucked away and easily found when needed, able to be applied for renewal or repair of whatever situation arises with the sun or the moon in our lives. It's best that it not be filled with what is useless, broken or unpleasant, but when those items find their way to the surface, they can easily be dealt with and discarded as necessary, leaving room for only what's nice and worth keeping... ;+)
Shawn
****

photo courtesy of: cottage quilting online, The Button Basket.

No comments: