~Living a life of sophisticated domestication deep in the heart of Texas~

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

December Moon....





Before going to bed

After a fall of snow

I look out on the field

Shining there in the moonlight

So calm, untouched and white

Snow silence fills my head

After I leave the window.



Hours later near dawn

When I look down again

The whole landscape has changed

The perfect surface gone

Criss-crossed and written on

Where the wild creatures ranged

While the moon rose and shone.



Why did my dog not bark?

Why did I hear no sound

There on the snow-locked ground

In the tumultuous dark?



How much can come, how much can go

When the December moon is bright,

What worlds of play we'll never know

Sleeping away the cold white night

After a fall of snow.



~May Sarton

No comments: